The Ontario Office of the Fire Marshal and Emergency Management (OFMEM), or Bureau du Commissaire des Incendies (BCI) in French, is the provincial government department responsible for fire safety and support services in the Province of Ontario. Its duties include fire investigation, public fire safety education and assisting municipal fire departments. Support and equipment are also provided to municipally-unorganized northern communities in conjunction with the Ministry of Northern Development and Mines.
The OFMEM falls under the Ministry of Community Safety and Correctional Services and is governed by Ontario's Fire Protection and Prevention Act (1997).
The OFMEM also operated the Ontario Fire College in Gravenhurst until its 2021 closure.
OFMEM-Equipped Fire Departments
Northern Ontario is home to several communities in areas without municipal organization. For many years, fire protection in these areas was limited or non-existent - a few had formed their own fire departments and many others depended on the Ontario Ministry of Natural Resources. In the late 1970s, the Provincial government started to fund local fire protection teams to provide fire services in these areas. Initial equipment and training were provided by the OFM with assistance from the Ministry of Northern Development & Mines, and the teams were sustained by local fundraising.
Several teams have since been absorbed by municipal fire departments after a wave of amalgamations in the late 1990s, but many remain.
- Aweres Volunteer Fire Department
- Batchawana Fire and Rescue
- Goulais Fire and Rescue Volunteers
- Hawk Junction Fire Protection Team
- Ophir Volunteer Fire Department
- Searchmont Community Volunteer Fire Department
- Wharncliffe Fire Team
- Longbow Lake Volunteer Fire Brigade
- McKenzie-Clearwater Bay Volunteer Fire Department
- Minaki Fire Department
- Oxdrift Volunteer Fire Team
- Pellatt United Firefighters
- Redditt Fire Protection Team
- Wabigoon Fire Team
Parry Sound District
- Argyle Fire Department in the Port Loring area
- Britt & Area Fire and Rescue Department
- Laurier Township Fire Protection Team
- Restoule & District Fire Department
Rainy River District
- Cartier Fire Protection Team
- Estaire-Wanup Volunteer Fire Brigade
- Foleyet Fire Department
- Gogama Volunteer Fire Protection Team
- Whitefish Falls - Willisville Volunteer Fire Department
Thunder Bay District
- Armstrong Fire Protection Team
- East Gorham Fire Protection Team
- Hurkett Fire Protection Team
- Kaministiquia Fire Rescue
- Lappe Fire Protection Team
- Nolalu Emergency Services Team
- Pass Lake Volunteer Fire Team
- Rossport Fire Protection Team
- Shebandowan Fire Protection Team